Friday, July 16, 2010

Day #8 - Vosyem (voh-s'ehm')







As Craig mentioned earlier, the days are starting to run together. It is Friday and it is the eighth day of our ten day waiting period. However, due to the tenth day falling on a Sunday, the official tenth rolls over to the next business day. One might think that would be Monday but in our case it is Tuesday because the local offices are closed on Monday. It is sort of like playing DORAK, the Ukrainian card game that I can not quite master.

At this point, even Sergei is getting itching about our departure date. We are anxious to get home. On Tuesday, 7/20 I will retrieve Sergei from camp. That evening, he and I are invited to Larisa and Gena's home for a final send off dinner. I can only imagine the emptiness she will feel having been his teacher and mother for the past eight years. She truly loves him.

Yesterday evening, I was cutting through the school property on my way home from dinner. As I entered the gates, Larisa was walking out of the school front doors. I waived and she laughed because she is amazed by how we have assimilated into Severodonetsk life. It is funny how I bump into her everywhere.

We started walking together and then she stopped and pulled out a small batch of photos. She had been in her office digging through pictures so that Sergei had some of his history to take with him. You can spot him immediately in all of the pictures. One b&w brought me to tears because it is a precious portrait where he is holding a small daisy. I am certain Larisa knew I was more than appreciative of the gift.


Today I sent her an email before I went to camp and shared that I am completely alone. The Trumps left for Kyiv yesterday and Sergey the translator went home until Monday 7/19. I was thrilled when she wrote back and said they were free for dinner tonight. We met at Edem and had a delicious dinner with Tatiana, our favorite server. After dinner we made plans to tour a monastery on Sunday.


So that's it for now. We have our plane reservations to fly from Lugansk to Kyiv on Thursday at 6:00 a.m. We will be in Kyiv doing American Embassy stuff on Thursday and Friday. Saturday we will begin the final leg of our journey home. I am looking forwad to being reunited with Pat, Evan & Craig. I guess for the record I should also include Ginger and Dolce. By the way, Sergei asked me the other day if he could have his own dog. I'll keep you guessing about my answer on that one.............let's just say he should have asked his father!!














No comments:

Post a Comment